Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

#77 Go on morning walks (or run a half-marathon)








How about run instead of walk? How about a 13.1 mile morning run?

That's what I did this morning. I ran my first half-marathon. I finished in 2:10, which amazes me, but I wasn't running for time. I just wanted to do it.

I've been training since August. In some ways it's hard to look back and think how far I've come. That first practice was so hard, and it was barely two miles. I really signed up almost on a whim. I just need something new, something different, a goal.

Since then, I've been running about three times a week, generally in the morning. Especially on Saturdays, I'd run super early, first at 5:45, then later at 5:30. Our running group would head out for long runs from the University of Miami in Coral Gables to Coconut Grove and back.


The half-marathon was amazing. Here is a short recap, mile by mile.





Mile 1: We're off, leaving downtown and heading over the MacArthur Causeway. I'm in shock guys are peeing in the median. Can't they use the portable toilets?


Mile 2: I decide I'll let the communal adrenaline carry me.


Mile 3: Someone breaks out in military chant. It doesn't last long.


Mile 4: We've been running for 45 minutes? Really? It feels like 20!


Mile 5: The sunrise over the beach next to Ocean Drive is gorgeous.


Mile 6: Feeling the burn but psyched we're still with the official pace-keeper gal. 


Mile 7: Huge mental struggle until we get to the first of many small bridges to cross Biscayne Bay.


Mile 8: I think of all the people who have supported me, and I feel extra energy pushing me forward. I look over the water and wonder if there are dolphins swimming along with us 22,000 runners.


Mile 9: It's crowded.


Mile 10: On the Venetian! Almost back downtown! Woo hoo!




Mile 11: High school band gives some much needed beats.


Mile 12: Digging deep through downtown.


Mile 13: I refuse to be tired. I refuse to hurt. I am going to give it my all.


13.1: Finish line! Amazing! And a medal!







1 comment:

  1. I love your updates. CONGRATULATIONS on your half-marathon!! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete