Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

#103: Get a library card



There's a library just a few blocks from my house. And I've always walked by. Now I'm a member. Today I got a library card.

(Of course, I refused to give up my Texas license and just showed my electric bill to establish my residency.)

The building is old and beautiful: big wooden doors, coral stone that's probably illegal now, a fountain in front and tropical plants all around.

It brought back memories of library time - Ramona books and mystery novels - in elementary school, and checking out Lou Reed and David Bowie CDs in high school. Really, libraries have a mysterious aura to them. They hold secrets. Like the great library of Alexandria. Or the medieval labyrinth of a library in The Name of the Rose. And then there's Borges' "La Biblioteca de Babel."

My first check-outs: Finding Mañana by Mirta Ojito and an animated version of Janáček's opera The Cunning Little Vixen.

No comments:

Post a Comment